Personal Savers

Most Recent Sale Or Promotion Banner

Thursday, April 18, 2013

What Boston means to Me

Where do I even begin?
Boston is so iconic and even before I was a runner I would listen to see what the winners time was. Last year when I started running I paid closer attention, what was the pace, when did the "non-elite" runners finish? (To me they're all elite.) I had a voice in the back of my mind telling me I could maybe run a marathon. Fast forward to this year and I am signed up for my first (and maybe only) full marathon. So on Monday I was at work, I had the TV on in the background and was checking twitter between patients to see when Kara Goucher and Shalane Flanagan finished. I was getting ready to turn off the television when the "special report" came breaking in and rocked every runners world. It was surreal, a bomb? At a marathon? At Boston? I was more emotional than I thought I would be, but I've grown to love this community, this tribe of runners. I haven't ever met most of the people I correspond with and follow on twitter or Facebook, but I'm proud when they PR and upset for them when they are injured. You've seen how motorcyclists wave as they pass one another, it's the same with runners. We understand, it's demanding, fun, mind clearing, and we pour our sweat and tears and sometimes blood into it.
Some of the folks I work with said that's why you shouldn't run, bad things happen. I said that's why you should, be united, be strong, be one.
My first half of the year is in 2 weeks, perhaps the biggest 1/2 marathon in the country, the Indianapolis Mini and I'm excited! I'm excited to be with my tribe, the people I don't know but that would help anyone. I am not fast and I won't ever be, I will never BQ. However, I will always run.
I think my mom is nervous, two of her daughters are running that race in Indianapolis, but we can't stop now. That's what the evil wants, they want to instill fear and paralyze us. We won't stand down we won't stop running! I run for Boston, how about you?



No comments:

Post a Comment