Personal Savers

Most Recent Sale Or Promotion Banner

Friday, April 5, 2013

Training for the long run:)

So for the last 12 weeks I've been training and there are 4 more to go. This time its for a half. When I started this crazy running thing last January I NEVER thought I'd be preparing myself to start MARATHON training. Last year the opportunity arose to do the Indianapolis Mini Marathon and so I did it, finished it but just barely. A three hour and forty minute finish equals a lot of walking! However, 13.1 is 13.1 and to finish was such an awesome accomplishment!! This year my goal is a sub-2:30 half marathon, at the Indianapolis Mini, the Geist Half Marathon and then at the Indianapolis Womens Half I'm going for a sub-2:15 half. Still not fast but for me it's perfect:). I like to enjoy my runs and observe my surroundings so this is perfect for me. So with 4 weeks to go before that first half of the season I'm happy to say that my pace is right where it needs to be.

Now I'm gearing up to start MARATHON training in June. I have no idea what to expect or how to pace myself. My only real goal is to finish, my thought is that I'd like to finish in 5 hours. I read an article the other week in the New York Times and it had all the power to turn an average runner away from the sport. The interviewed person talked about how slow runners weren't runners at all and made marathons not as special. faster runners have gone on to say that people who run longer than a 4:30 Marathon don't train or put in all of the hard work. I beg to differ, I put in all of the long runs, tempo runs, intervals and I do it by getting up early or skipping dinner with my family, no Saturday fun for me with my kids because I'm running. So instead of turning me off of running that article made me angry and more determined to finish. There is always someone faster than you, you only have to be determined and focused for yourself.

To all of you MARATHONERS who are slower than a 4:30 full, keep running!! This is our sport too!!





1 comment:

  1. Why anyone would feel the need to criticize anyone else's pace is beyond me! I always say the race is with yourself.
    You're awesome! keep up the good work. Can't wait to hear about your half's and your full!

    ReplyDelete